Date: 9/13/19 8:33 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (13 Sep 2019) 35 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 35 1258 1258

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Mark Hainen, Rosemary Brady

Visitors:
We did have few visitors but those hardy souls were not treated to much
activity.

Weather:
For those of you with triskaidekaphobia, you may have valid reasons for
your fears. Not our finest hour today as a barometer that fell slowly at
first but accelerated late foretold a slow day. In the end we cut it short
when thunder came as a prelude to another deluge from the heavens, light
show included.

Raptor Observations:
A few sharpies kept our faint hopes alive but they were so spaced out that
it felt like a very barren day all the way through. One juvenile
broad-winged did not get the memo and came by. We did see a handful of
American kestrels and one peregrine for good measure. Only one harrier
showed up in the morning hours.

Non-raptor Observations:
Not really much to see today as all the locals seemed to take it easy. We
did observe a couple of killdeer early trying their best to make us record
them as kestrels. Otherwise a slow day at the ranch.

Predictions:
Tomorrow shows more promise. The barometer should be rebounding during the
day and the winds are going up to double digits but from the west. Not the
ideal wind but I would think that buteos might move under those conditions.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<b39ebda74430992e78cc9708c885e9cf...>