Date: 9/13/19 7:49 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (12 Sep 2019) 453 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 453 1223 1223

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Mark Hainen, Raburn Howland

Visitors:
Sam, our new volunteer spent the morning with us. Karen Markey brought the
broad-wings with her in the afternoon.
The Birthday Fairy visited Kevin Georg, our counter. Not sure how old he is
but I guess I should as what he tells me never seems to change from year to
year.

Weather:
Misty rain to start the day with promised clearing later. Although we did
see a little blue in the afternoon the clouds returned to dampen the flight
in late afternoon. Barometer was up most of the day and winds were from a
generally northern direction so we had elements of a good day in some
respects.

Raptor Observations:
We had a few hundred broad-winged hawks today so hopefully their numbers
will be increasing soon. Sharp-shins and kestrels played a part with 44 and
19 respectively. Harriers almost made double digits with 9. It wasn't a bad
haul for a day that was hampered by a bad beginning and a slow end.

Non-raptor Observations:
Not much activity nearby today. Even our large flock of cormorants must
have gone elsewhere to hunt. There did seem to be more swallows and martins
in the air to confound us. Monarchs were plentiful for a few hours but
slowed down later. We did not get a chance to count them when the
broad-wings were sneaking across as they demand full attention.

Predictions:
Another hot day with possible afternoon thunderstorms predicted tomorrow.
Hot means winds from a southerly direction. Barometer is predicted to fall
a little which might set up a nice day for Saturday. With turbulent weather
you might get lucky but it all depends how the winds play out around you.
Report submitted by Kevin Georg (<kevin.l.georg...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<40039534852a37fdff7163cc7f820d21...>