Date: 9/13/19 4:16 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (13 Sep 2019) 35 Raptors

Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 35 1237 1237

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you Jim McCoy and two visitors from Ohio for saying hello. Also thank
you to a group of young naturalists from the Nature Learning Center for
stopping-by and being so keen on bird watching.

Weather:
Our day started hot and humid with winds from the South and South-East.
Around 3 o'clock, dark clouds accompanied by thunder rolled in. Naturally,
we left the tower and headed to the HBMO office when the thunderstorm hit
us hard. We stayed in and let the massive weather event take place. After
the worst had passed, we were left with many fallen branches, some of which
were blocking off the road and one narrowly missing the office itself.
Quite the storm, hopefully all the birds took shelter before it hit!

Raptor Observations:
A very slow day for the raptors, with only 35 raptors counted and the
majority being Sharp-shinned hawks (23). We also counted 4 Merlins, to our
surprise, travelling together and a Peregrine Falcon. We also observed our
local Osprey and Bald Eagles.

Non-raptor Observations:
In the morning we had good warbler activity, seeing many Magnolia,
Redstarts, Cape May and Black-throated Green warlbers milling around the
tower. We also observed over 600 swallows, mostly Tree Swallows feeding in
the marsh and over 150 Monarchs. Our highlight of the day was spotting an
American Bitter as it flew over the marsh.

Tree Swallows: 500
Purple Martins: 106
Barn Swallows: 60
Cedar Waxwings: 282
Monarchs: 167
Ruby-throated hummingbird: 2

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59777698

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting another hot day with highs around 24 degree
Celsius and with winds from the West.
We hope this will bring us many raptors for our Hawk Festival, notably
Sharp-shinned hawks and maybe a kettle or two of Broad-winged hawks,
fingers crossed!
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<3cafda2adddc03388d4383dd2140da88...>