Date: 9/11/19 2:16 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden & Techny North Wed 9-11-19
Hello Bird People,

Whereas I have been only covering the mud flats at the Botanic Garden
for the last 2 1/2 months today I did full coverage & did everything
except the main woods which I was too tired to do after almost 4 hours
of walking. Had a nice mix of birds with 6 species of warblers & 2
species of vireos.
The mud flats again have high water & few shorebirds although one was
pretty interesting.
Here's my list:

Chicago Botanic Garden (7:15-11 a.m.)

D.C. Cormorant (1 in the water & 3 flying by)
Great Blue Heron (3)
Great Egret (1)
Green Heron (1 in B.Brown Pond)
Black Crowned Night Heron (1-IM also in B.Brown Pond)
Canada Goose (87 by the mud flats & more flying)
Wood Duck (21, all in the B.Brown Pond)
Mallard (41, most by the mud flats)
Green Winged Teal (only 1 this time)
OSPREY (1 going south)
Killdeer (3)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (1)
MYSTERY PEEP? (1, see below)
Herring Gull (2-AD)
Rock Pigeon (flock of 18 fly-bys)
Mourning Dove (5)
Ruby Throated Hummer (1)
Downy Woodpecker (2)
Flicker (1)
Blue Jay (4)
Chickadee (4)
Barn Swallow (only 1)
House Wren (2, together)
Swainson's Thrush (8)
Robins (6)
Gray Catbird (1)
Warbling Vireo (4, all singing)
PHILADELPHIA VIREO (1)
Magnolia Warbler (1)
Blackburnian Warbler (1)
Blackpoll (3)
Bay Breasted Warbler (1)
Redstart (3)
(The above 5 species of warblers were all seen on the loop road around
the Northern Lake)
Ovenbird (1, by the B.Brown Pond)
Cardinal (3)
Rose Breasted Grosbeak (1 or 2)
Song Sparrow (2)
Grackle (1)
(No Red Wings)
House Finch (1-M & 1-F)
Goldfinch (20-25)
House Sparrow (2)

That's 40 species just at the CBG which I'd say is a pretty good total
& does not include the
Mystery Peep.

Techny North (11:50 a.m.-12:30 p.m.)

Pretty much the same as yesterday with one notable addition.

Great Blue Heron (1) & Great Egret (2)
Black Crowned Night Heron (2-AD & 3 younger ones)
Wood Duck (6) & Mallard (17)
Red Tailed Hawk (1-IM flying)
Killdeer (19)
Spotted (1), Least (7), Semipalmated (1) & Pectoral (3) Sandpipers
STILT SANDPIPER (2, today's new addition) (Found in the deeper water
next to the mud flats)
Barn Swallow (8)

And now to the Mystery Peep at the Botanic Garden.

This was probably a Western Sandpiper based only on the long, thick,
honker of a bill.
But as I was doing the entire Garden area I did not carry my scope &
so did not get a very close look except at 1st when the bird was very
close. When I came back later it was way out on the mud flats & then
it flew away never coming close enough to improve on my earlier view.
The bill was much longer than the Semipalmated Sandpiper, it had the
black legs & it was feeding in the deeper water which I have found is
something that Westerns do more than the other Peeps. So maybe I had a
Western Sandpiper today. I'll have to think about that.

Since maybes don't qualify for Bird-Of-The-Day I'll go with the 2
Stilt Sandpipers for that honor.
Runners-Up to the Philadelphia Vireo & the Osprey. No awards for the
Mystery Peep, yet.

Al Stokie
In Cook County today & a hot day it was

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>