Date: 9/11/19 10:19 am
From: Jude Griffin <judegriffin...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] EEE spraying
Anvil degrades rapidly under ideal conditions (direct sunlight). Less than
ideal conditions means it persists in the environment.

It is fatal to terrestrial and aquatic invertebrates. It is diluted, not
rendered useless, by rain (more water). Cover your small ponds (like,
koi-sized). Some people cover their flowers with cheesecloth-type material
to protect sleeping insects.

We have two ponds on our property: one large and open (10 acres), the other
small and tree-lined, maybe 1/8 acre. The sunny day after spraying, the
large pond had a single dragonfly when it usually had 30+ in just the small
area where I stand, the smaller pond had notably more activity. Bumble and
hummer numbers were normal, non-native ladybugs totally absent, no
sightings again of the two species of ground-dwelling digger wasps, no
monarchs, not one butterfly, as before. No swallows. Non-native oleander
aphids, as active and numerous as before. Not one firefly: I expected them
to survive among the high wet grass.

Other anecdotal reports from Plymouth County mentioned large crashes in
dragonfly numbers and diversity.

All anecdotal. To my knowledge, no one is tracking this.

Jude Griffin
Sutton, MA
<judegriffin...>

On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 11:08 PM Melissa Aldrich <melcaldrich...>
wrote:

> The product they are spraying, in Worcester County, is Anvil 10/10. It
> degrades after a day and is rendered useless(?) by rain.
>
> It targets mosquito larvae, however, it will also kill, dragonflies and
> beetles. Dragonflies:
> one of the best mosquito predators.
>
> The Oxford fire department and made an all call to my home instructing me
> to "close windows, cover koi ponds and keep pets indoors".
>
> Monitoring of all species should be required during these events.
>
> Melissa Aldrich
>
> 413-219-2417
>
> On Tue, Sep 10, 2019, 9:12 PM GLENN D'ENTREMONT <gdentremont1...>
> wrote:
>
>> Any one in these spray areas-could you take a notice tomorrow/the next
>> day on the numbers of chickadees you encounter and compare with last week?
>> I expect the number to plummet (OK, lower than last week). I have noticed
>> this anecdotally when spraying in other years. If they drop extrapolate
>> that to all species in the area.
>>

>> Glenn
>>

>> Glenn d'Entremont: <gdentremont1...> Stoughton, MA
>>
>> On September 10, 2019 at 3:48 PM Jonathan Jones <brewbird...> wrote:
>>
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> Apparently they are doing more mosquito spraying in new areas starting
>> tonight.
>>

>> https://www.mass.gov/guides/eee-in-massachusetts#-september-2019-aerial-spraying-information
>>

>> They don’t explicitly list Wrentham, but half the town appears in the
>> spray map, including where we live.
>>
>> Do I need to do anything special with regards to bird seed, suet, or
>> hummingbird feeders?
>>
>> Sincerely,
>> Jonathan Jones
>> Wrentham, MA