Date: 9/11/19 6:02 am
From: 'jarojim .' <jimjarosz...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Limpkin and Sabine's Gull update in Richland County
I was inspired by Al Stokie's post so I took a day of vacation and spent it
traveling Illinois seeking the rare species available.

I was in Richland County yesterday late afternoon. I learned more about
the Limpkin's habits from the homeowner at 5066 Westpoint Lane. I included
this info to help other avoid the long process I went through to finally
see the bird. I can't thank this guy enough for his help in getting me and
another gentleman on this bird.

It is active in the morning and in the evening around 6 PM in the bay by
his home. During the day it will commonly roost in a tree nearby, hidden
from view. It is infrequently found in the bay across the lake from his
home west of the swimming hole.
AS PREVIOUSLY STATED - PARK ON THE SIDE OF THE STREET BY HIS ADDRESS AND DO
NOT BLOCK THE STREET.

I did NOT see the Sabine's Gull. That lake only had Cormorants on it when
I went there twice to look for birds.

Other highlights

Black Tern at the El Paso Water treatment plant. The gates to the plant
were closed - but I watched from a high vantage point for about 30 minutes
as the birds circled over the plant.
Wilson's Phalarope at Chautauqua NWR
Swallow-tailed Kite and Mississippi Kite in Alton IL
Limpkin in Olney, IL

I took a picture of a bird in Alton that I am trying to determine its ID.

Jim Jarosz
Norridge, IL

Join us on Facebook!