Date: 9/11/19 3:02 am
From: Barbara Volkle <barb620...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Wachusett Mountain (10 Sep 2019) 15 Raptors

Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2019 17:43:02 -0800
From: <reports...>
Subject: Wachusett Mountain (10 Sep 2019) 15 Raptors

Merlin 0 4 6
Peregrine Falcon 2 5 5
Unknown Accipiter 2 2 2
Unknown Buteo 0 1 1
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 10 11

Total: 15 250 344

Observation start time: 08:00:00 Observation end time: 15:30:00 Total
observation time: 8 hours

Official Counter: Rod Chase

Observers: Susan Williamson, Ted Mara

Visitors:
Also on the watch: JoAnne Hart, Karen Turer, Polly Baylies. Thanks for
the excellent help and company on this slow day.
Visitors were sparse but I had great conversations with
Hope Charleston-Gonzales and Ramoan Gonzales who had
much to recommend about Puerto Rico. They also figured
out what we were doing. Also: Bina Bliskin, who attended our Annual
Meeting and is now joining EMHW, made her 1st visit to our hill today!
Finally, three
folks on my walk down to car asked about hawking
and we talked for 10 minutes. Bird lovers are always
so pleasant here!

Weather:
"Wind" was 0-3mph all thru 2pm then 0-5 til 3:30. Direction was from SE
then wobbled between S and SE
until 2pm. Final last 1.5 hours wind from SW.
Temp slowly crept from 56-62F by 2pm but then dropped
rapidly to 57F for last 1.5hrs.
Cloud cover = 100% FOG from 8-11am, 99% until noon and
95% thereafter except when a big wave of fog and sprinkles blew by from
SW from 2-2:30.
Visibility.. well, 75 yards until 11am if you looked
in the right direction. Later visibility to 10 miles
was available - especially NE to W. Other directions had 10 mi. when fog
wasn't blowing through; only the
very last 2 birds passed on south side of hill.
The TVs tried to show there was some thermal lift
when Gardner, Fitchburg and other spots received sunshine. Some birds
after noon took their advice but
the height was quickly lost when moving on. Most
flights were eye-level or lower.

Raptor Observations:
10:30 1 BW, distant N. 12:20 4 BW from NE 12:25 1 UA
12:50 1 BW
1:22 1 BW
2:45 2 BW
3:00 1 PG
3:16 1 PG

Locals: 7 TV, 3 RT.

Non-raptor Observations:
Ruby-crowned Kinglet, 8 Juncos, Ruby-throated Hummingbird, 4 Common
Ravens, Towhee.
Also: 3 skunks on the down road who took more than a
minute to decide which way to run! Final choice: right.

Monarchs: 4

Predictions:
Wednesday: A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms
after 3pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 81. Southwest wind around 11
mph, with gusts as high as
25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
(NOT fair! Bob and John just HAD a slow Wednesday...
hope you can surprise us. Noted Clarry Hill had 87
raptors with 50 BWs & Cadillac Mtn. had 42 -
mostly SS and OS. There is some hope.)
Report submitted by Rod Chase (<rodchase...>)
Wachusett Mountain information may be found at:
http://www.massbird.org/emhw

More site information at hawkcount.org:
http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=228

Join us on Facebook!