Date: 9/11/19 2:54 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (10 Sep 2019) 22 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 22 180 187

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Beatty Broughton, Fran DeMillion

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (): Beaty Broughton, Fran DeMillion
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy-Partly Sunny (70-50% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 4,200-14,700
ft., Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 63 - 78F, Winds ENE/S @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (52) and Turkey Vultures (62).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-1; adult-3
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
This might about the last day Wilson Road Pond will be even a wet spot, so
I checked it again as I drove by. There were Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser
Yellowlegs, Least Sandpipers, Killdeer, Great Blue Herons, and Bobolinks
[and very nearly, NO WATER]. The Polo Fields have been disappointing in
variety thus far. Today I saw merely 80 Killdeer.
<BR><BR>
I arrived early at Bucktoe, so I walked to a spot that has been anything
but disappointing at Bucktoe – “Warbler Meadow.” There were fewer
warblers than yesterday, but a nice variety with American Redstarts,
Magnolia Warblers, Black-and-white Warblers, Northern Parula, Blackpoll
Warbler, Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers, and a
Bay-breasted Warbler. There was a Black-billed Cuckoo, Great Crested
Flycatcher, Warbling Vireos, and Red-eyed Vireos.
<BR><BR>
Back at the watch, I was entertained by a screaming Red-tailed Hawk who was
in loud dispute over air space with an adult Bald Eagle just above my head.
There was a plethora of white billowy clouds today, but not much flying
against them. I hate wasting a sky like this, but that’s what happened.
It’s OK though, right? That leaves many more for another day. AND it’s
coming quick!
<BR><BR>
To relieve the monotony of watching the sky, I returned to Warbler Meadow.
Besides, I needed steps. I’m glad I went; it was 1:20pm. As I entered
the bordering woods a Redstart came at me chasing another bird. That bird?
A male GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, which ended up only 15 feet away, lingering
for 10 minutes. I put the word out on the rarity when I walked back up the
hill to the watch. Beaty arrived just after the excitement, as did Fran.
Fran & I went to look for the warbler again, but it was elusive. I
glimpsed it twice more, but couldn’t get Fran on it. We did add a Canada
Warbler, our eleventh warbler species today in the meadow.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Black-billed Cuckoo, Brown Thrasher, American Redstarts, Magnolia Warblers,
Black-and-white Warblers, Northern Parula, Blackpoll Warbler,
Chestnut-sided Warbler, Black-throated Green Warblers, Bay-breasted
Warbler, GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER, Canada Warbler, Black-billed Cuckoo, Great
Crested Flycatcher, Warbling Vireos, Red-eyed Vireos, Bobolinks, and Blue
Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (12): Monarch - 18, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary, Red Admiral, Cloudless Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner,
Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0).
Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.76; Steps:
11,165; Floors: 107.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 60; this season:
89
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER and Bay-breasted Warbler .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a summer day with warmer temperatures and a
light southwest wind. Lots of background clouds.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek