Date: 9/10/19 7:40 pm
From: Susan Campbell <susan...>
Subject: Mattamuskeet Christmas Bird Count
Dear All,

It may still feel like summer BUT....

We are looking for volunteers to assist with the CBC in the Mattamuskeet area (Hyde Co. NC) on Sunday, December 29th. We have a core of experienced helpers but need more eyes and ears on count day this year. Historically, most of our volunteers are from out of the area so advance planning is critical for a successful count.

The circle is one with good diversity--- and historically has produced some very interesting birds. Of course we count a large variety of waterfowl and waterbirds as well as numerous raptors. Among other species, Eurasian Wigeon, Golden Eagle, Barn Owl, and Brewer's Blackbird have all been counted in the last couple years. The causeway across the lake is legendary for interesting warblers in winter. Double digits have been tallied on some counts when conditions are good for drawing songbirds out of the the thick vegetation along Hwy. 94.

Mattamuskeet is unique-- with amazing habitat and views as well as wildlife. Experiencing this part of the inner coastal plain during the winter is always special.

Please let me know ASAP if you think you might like to join our count in late December!

Many thanks,
Susan Campbell
Compiler, Mattamuskeet CBC

Join us on Facebook!