Date: 9/10/19 6:55 pm
From: JAMES SPEICHER <jugornought...>
Subject: [MDBirding] [FR] Bike Ride Birds & two days of Nighthawk obs
Green Heron [Poffenberger Rd bridge over Catoctin Creek]
GB Heron [Bennies Hill Rd's Catoctin Creek trib]
Pileated Wood [being very raucous], maybe two on Carroll Boyer Rd
Many Tree Swallows on phone lines beside Carroll Boyer Rd foraging
actively just past 5610 mailboxes.

In addition there were lots of active, dinky, brownish birds of a kind
that i couldn't ID. It seemed they might have recently arrived, maybe
o/n. They were hanging out at the horse farm on Carroll Boyer Rd
opposite the double-wide trailer. The sun was "behind" them making
matters worse for ID. I'm without Bins on rides.

At home:
The NIghthawks continue to appear this year in contrast to all other
years [20] at my location. On MON a pair headed due S. A lone bird
headed E and then [think it was the same one] returned heading N. All
obs were after 1900.

Today it was a threesome heading S and later a lone bird or two, again
without direction. This time the obs were close to 1800.

All Nighthawks were flying at not more than ~500 feet elevation.

Jim Speicher
BroadRun/Burkittsville area
[FR] Frederick County
WA Co. MOS member