Date: 9/10/19 6:04 pm
From: Noah Arthur via Groups.Io <semirelicta=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: [pen-bird] Check your collared-doves...
During an otherwise uneventful morning around Half Moon Bay, I saw an AFRICAN COLLARED-DOVE at a garden birdfeeder in an undisclosed location, while walking back to the car through a residential neighborhood. I know it’s unethical to look at private residences and yards while birding, so I didn’t stop and take photos or a close look, but the bird was distinctive even in the quick glance I had while walking. A slim, pale collared-dove with paler wingtips than Eurasian and not much bigger than an adjacent Mourning.
This interesting non-native may already be established in parts of California. It would be great if all y’all San Mateo Coast birders would check your collared-doves and photograph and ebird any Africans you find, to document the species’ establishment or lack thereof...

Happy Fall Migration!
Noah Arthur (Oakland)