Date: 9/10/19 5:30 pm
From: <t4c1x...>
Subject: [obol] common birds, uncommon sightings

Lots of common birds around my place (Thornton Creek, Lincoln County) this afternoon. Many Band-tailed Pigeons and Cedar Waxwings feeding on cascara berries. Two Red-breasted Nuthatches taking sunflower seeds from the feeder. A surprising Swainson's Thrush few into an alder. I very rarely see them in daylight during migration. Most interesting was an interaction between a Downy Woodpecker and a Black-capped Chickadee. The woodpecker was vigorously pecking into some 1" diameter galls on a Nutka Rose bush, when the chickadee came to investigate. It sat about three inches behind the woodpecker and watched. A couple minutes later it began pecking into the galls previously examined by the woodpecker. These galls are full of tiny white worms, and the chickadee apparently was searching for any the woodpecker might have missed. I had never observed this behavior before. One Black-throated Gray Warbler made a brief appearance in a wild cherry nearby.

Darrel

Join us on Facebook!