Date: 9/10/19 4:03 pm
From: Thor Manson <thormanson...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Canoa Ranch Today
Hi Birders: I had a chance to bird the Historic Canoa Ranch this morning located off the I-19 East Frontage Road near Green Valley. Take Exit 56, Canoa, then drive north on the East Frontage Road to the well marked entrance. Open 6:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
This location has been a bit of hotspot recently for a couple of species; Dickcissel, and Clay-colored Sparrow. I believe White tailed Kite has also been seen here recently. Well, as they frequently say, you can't get em all. I had good looks at two Dickcissels, and managed an okay photo of one posted on Arizona Birding on Facebook.
Other sparrow species seen in good numbers were Brewer's, Lark, Vesper, and Savannah. The Clay-colored has been reported hanging around with the Brewer's and Lark Sparrows. The bird was seen today by some, but not by me. Lark Bunting were also observed foraging on the ground. A beautiful Intermediate Juvenile Swainson's Hawk perched cooperatively in one of the two dead trees heading north along the trail. Six to 10 White faced Ibis's were seen migrating south. Yellow, and Orange crowned Warblers were both present. A Spotted Sandpiper was seen over by the lake.
Now, if Pima County could only manufacture some decent shoreline habitat by the lake, it could be interesting to see what may show up there.
Black bellied Whistling Duck; two adults and two young were seen at the Amado Sewage Lagoon further south off the I-19 Frontage Road. Cheers, Thor

Thor Manson
Green Valley