Date: 9/10/19 3:54 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Montrose, Techny North & Techny Basin Tuesday 9-10-19
Hello Bird People,

Like yesterday, today was a "paying your dues" day with almost nothing
of interest being seen.
Tried hard to find a Baird's Sandpiper at Montrose as they have been
there recently & I had one there the last time I birded there & I
wanted one good bird for the day. But I couldn't find one today. And
only common birds seen at all locations today.

Montrose Beach & Dunes

D.C. Cormorant (at 1st just a few flying by & then wave after wave of
about 300 going north)
Great Blue Heron (1 on the flooded beach, 1 in the Dunes & 1 flying by)
Canada Goose (32 early)
Mallard (26 by the pier)
Semipalmated Plover (at 1st only 3 but later up to 13)
Killdeer (2)
Sanderling (Max = 24)
Semipalmated Sandpiper (3)
Least Sandpiper (1)
Ring Billed Gull (~85)
Herring Gull (2 on the beach & more flying by)
Caspian Tern (6)

Back to dogs on the beach with 2 there today. One lady owner went over
to pick up after the dog (I thought) but just kicked sand over the
"dogie do" so no one could see it. No security car to be seen.

Not one migrant seen by me at the hedge area although I didn't look
too hard or long.
Only birds seen were summer or year round residents. Two Warbling
Vireos still singing.

Techny North

Boy the mud flats look great but few shorebirds were taking advantage
of the flats.

Great Blue Heron (3) & Great Egret (1)
Green Heron (1)
Black Crowned Night Heron (2-AD)
Canada Goose (8), Wood Duck (5) & Mallard (16)
Killdeer (7)
Spotted (2), Semipalmated (1) & Least (4) Sandpipers
Pectoral Sandpiper (3)
Ring Billed Gull (3 flying)
Chimney Swift (1)
Kingfisher (1)
Barn Swallow (4)

Techny Basin

Mud flats are finally back but only Killdeer were using them.

Great Blue Heron (6) & Great Egret (3)
Canada Goose (23), Mallard (39) & Blue Winged Teal (1)
Killdeer (6)
Kingfisher (1)
Flicker (1)
Eastern Kingbird (2 together)

Made a fast stop at Air Station Prairie but once again the 2 ponds
have no water.

Not much to choose from but Bird-Of-The-Day will be the 2 adult Black
Crowned Night Herons & Runners-Up to the Pectoral Sandpipers & the
Blue Winged Teal.

Al Stokie
Having a slow day in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>