Date: 9/10/19 3:29 pm
From: Marsha Nyffeler <marshanyffeler...> [NEBirds] <NEBirds...>
Subject: [NEBirds] a few Polk Co. birds
I went out this morning to my Polk Co woods to see if any interesting
things were happening. It wasn't very birdy, but what I saw was pretty
good!
1 Ovenbird - that I think was a juvenile...the reddish cap was not very (or
at all) evident and the eye ring was pretty indistinct - but the breast
spots, pink legs etc all were ovenbird. No eye strip - so not a
waterthrush ( seems like the wrong habitat anyway).
1 Yellow-billed Cuckoo - I had a great view!! best I have had in years -
was able to see the bill - black on top, yellow lower, and count the white
spots on its tail (6) but most interesting was it was "whispering" to
itself - very soft - hardly audible - ku-ku-ku-ku.
Not much else - 1 chickadee (which I rarely see), some woodpeckers,
bluejays etc.
Marsha Nyffeler
Columbus, NE

Join us on Facebook!