Date: 9/10/19 3:08 pm
From: Rubba Johanna <jer72701...>
Subject: [slocobirding] Cayucos Sept. 8
Spent all day in Cayucos. Was far too windy at pier's end, so I set up on the concrete walls at the beach. Around 1 pm saw thousands of (I assume) shearwaters flying low over the water--they made dark bands on the sea. Lots of feedingĀ  close in and far out--pelicans, terns, gulls, cormorants. Numerous humpback sightings near feeding frenzies: spouts, humps, tails, and one head reared straight out of the water.

The creek & creek mouth offered about 25 red-necked phalaropes. I did not see the one in breeding plumage that has been reported (and I was using my scope up close). Also present were 6 killdeer & 3 whimbrels.

Drove home via Turri Rd. The large pond offered 17 more red-necked phalaropes, and nothing else.

Johanna Rubba
Grover Beach