Date: 9/10/19 1:02 pm
From: Killian Mullarney <ktmullarney...>
Subject: Re: [BIRDWG01] BIRDWG01 Digest - 5 Sep 2019 to 9 Sep 2019 (#2019-38)
I'm aware that there can be more difficulty to specifically identifying a
minority of both American and Pacific Golden Plovers than we may have
realised in the 80s, when the first real progress was made in elucidating
the field characters of these two species, but if this isn't a nailed-on
juvenile American, we're really in trouble! Like most others who have
expressed a view, I believe this is an absolutely perfect American, and it
reminds me a lot of photos of the first American Golden Plover identified
in Oman, which is not a million miles from India.

http://www.birdsoman.com/Birds/056-Plovers/AmericanGoldenPlover/AmericanGoldenPlover.htm

It would be interesting to see flight shots, if there are any, to establish
whether the bird has commenced primary moult. It has been demonstrated that
(unlike Pacific) first-year Americans wintering in South America undergo a
complete moult of their primaries in their first-winter, but I guess an
out-of-range vagrant might not follow the usual moult regime.

Killian Mullarney

Join us on Facebook!