Date: 9/10/19 10:21 am
From: trose <trose...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] No Birds - FYI Canoa Golf Course to be an Open Space
RE:
Canoa Hills Golf Course, Green Valley, AZ

I haven't seen this mentioned yet on this list (if it has been, please
disregard), but I found a very interesting article from Pima County
dated just last month that states the Canoa Hills Golf Course in Green
Valley (GV), Arizona, is going to be turned into a public recreation
facility. It has been renamed "Canoa Hills Trails - An Open Space Park".
They are in the process of cleaning it up, grooming, repairing pathways,
etc. (They may or may not be done yet, and it may or may not be open
yet. Someone in GV will have to check).

Green Valley is intending it to be kind of a complement to the now
existing Canoa Reserve Park and Canoa Historic Ranch, but it's not
really particularly close to either.

This golf course still shows up on Google maps as "Canoa Hills Golf
Course", labeled "CLOSED" (and listed as "Permanently Closed" in the
info box that pops up if you click on it) so you should easily be able
to zoom in to see its location west of hwy I-19, and straddling Camino
Del Sol road.

But warning...do not confuse it with the "Canoa Ranch Golf Resort/Club"
(which will also show up on a Google maps search) - that's a whole
different place. LOL! Canoa Hills Golf Course is instead much farther
north, near Duval Mine Waterline Rd and Camino Urbano.

I have no idea just how much of the golf course, which sprawls through
several Green Valley housing areas, will be open as public trails (the
article says it has 130 acres). And it doesn't appear to have an water
features (unless that nice little pond on the west side of Camino Del
Sol is part of it??) But regardless, whatever they make into public
trails should end up as a pretty good place to go birding.

For further info, see the article at:
http://webcms.pima.gov/cms/One.aspx?portalId=169&pageId=500269

Tonya Holland
Tucson AZ