Date: 9/10/19 9:24 am
From: Jason Talbot <jason.talbot1...> [ible] <ible-noreply...>
Subject: [IBLE] Ptarmigan in the Selkirks?
I'd appreciate any feedback from a checklist that I submitted for White-tailed Ptarmigan. I have no experience with this species but am convinced I ran across a couple in the Selkirks last week by sound only and after some research (I didn't see them). See checklist for detailsĀ https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59523613
This link contains photos from the tripĀ https://www.flickr.com/photos/120225686@N06/albums/72157710771356201
One phenomenon I experienced were thousands of moths everywhere. They were all over my tent, in the truck, everywhere we went in the Priest Lake area and up the valley toward the Canadian border. I'd never seen anything like it. I guess with that many moths, the Grizzlies make an effort to eat them assuming they're the same kind. The following video shows what I mean (seen on the water) https://www.flickr.com/photos/120225686@N06/48708176838/in/album-72157710771356201/
My coworker and I did several hikes in the Selkirks, hiked to Upper Priest Falls and canoed to Upper Priest Lake. Very cool country up north!
Jason TalbotEagle, ID

Join us on Facebook!