Date: 9/10/19 9:14 am
From: KEVIN KARLSON <karlson3...>
Subject: Re: [BIRDWG01] American vs Pacific Golden-Plover
Re: American vs Pacific Golden-Plover
Pritam and all: I cannot speak for European Golden-Plover, since I don't know them very well, but maybe European birders can comment on whether this bird could be a European Golden. However, I feel that this is not a Pacific Golden-Plover due to the very small, rounded pigeon-like head; petite bill that is not long or heavy like Pacific; the lack of bulky chest and shoulders like Pacific; the elongated body with very long wings and rear body; and the dull overall plumage that lacks any golden tones, including the dull, mottled underparts that lack the pale yellowish wash to the upper breast and clean belly of Pacific. This dull plumage is what we see in Texas when American Golden-Plovers are migrating north in March and April, like the photo shown here in April from Texas that includes a few incoming breeding feathers, but is mostly nonbreeding : http://kevinkarlsonphotography.com/gallery/v/Shorebirds/Plovers/American+Golden+Plover_+mostly+nonbr_+TX_+Apr.jpg.html . Here is a!
shot of an American Golden from mid-March in Texas that is quite similar to the bird from India: http://kevinkarlsonphotography.com/gallery/v/Shorebirds/Plovers/American+Golden+Plover_+nonbreeding_+Texas_+March.jpg.html. Again, I can't speak for European Golden but I feel strongly that this is not a Pacific Golden, and looks very much like American Golden to me. Kevin Karlson

Ps - I put a link to a photo array that I prepared many years ago of four large Pluvialis plovers, including fresh juvenile Pacific Golden from Japan (upper left); juvenile American Golden in fall (upper right); golden plumaged juvenile Black-bellied Plover (lower left); and possible hybrid Pacific Golden x American Golden, which was in Cape May NJ in mid-October, 2004 for about a week. http://kevinkarlsonphotography.com/gallery/v/Shorebirds/Plovers/Figure+62+-+Comparison+of+Black-bellied_+American+Golden_+and+Pacific+Golden+Plovers.jpg.html .This possible hybrid shows the chunky, rounded body structure and squarish head shape of Pacific (more similar to Black-bellied (Grey) Plover) and the golden toned plumage, especially the underparts, of Pacific as well. However the bill of this bird is tiny, like American, and the legs very short, also like American. The most telling features of this bird is that it gave typical calls of both species, as documented by Michael O'Brien. R!
ichard Crossley also agreed that this is most probably a hybrid of these two species. The Indian plover does not exhibit structural or plumage qualities of Pacific in my opinion.

> On September 9, 2019 at 9:51 PM Pritam Baruah <pritambaruah.kaku...> wrote:
>

> Hello all,
>
> Can shorebird experts comment on the Golden-Plover in this checklist sent to me by a friend? This could be the first record of American Golden-Plover in India so any comments would be greatly appreciated. The photo is from southern India where Pacific GP is regular. European GP is a vagrant to India. I am aware that the PP formula has been questioned in North America before because of the possibility of hybrids so that is why we would like comments from folks who are quite familiar with both species.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S33781460
>
> Is there a maximum number of photos we can attach to an email in this forum?
>
> Thanks,
> Pritam.
>

> Sent from Outlook for Android
>
> Archives: https://listserv.ksu.edu/birdwg01.html