Date: 9/10/19 8:38 am
From: Alvaro Jaramillo <chucao...>
Subject: Re: [slocobirding] Terns
Hello all,

We have noticed on the pelagics up here in the north (Monterey to Bodega) that Arctic Terns have been particularly frequent. However, Common Terns have been nearly absent. This may not have anything to do with what is going on down there, but I thought I would mention it. However, I do wonder what is going on. Why are the birds inshore? Any idea on what they are feeding? I have looked at sea surface temperatures and chlorophyll online and nothing unusual seems to be going on in your neck of the woods. So the question is why? It his highly unusual, or does it happen every so often?

If many Arctic Terns are perching on the beach, it would be awesome for folks to photograph these and upload to eBird. A good collection of migrant southbound Arctics at close range would be great to have to look at bill color change and molt. There is precious little that gets photographed up close during this season, at least as far as Arctic Terns go. If there are one or two year old birds, that would be even a rarer prize for the photo gallery.

Good birding.

Alvaor

Alvaro Jaramillo

<mailto:<alvaro...> <alvaro...>