Date: 9/10/19 8:21 am
From: Robert van de Hoek via Groups.Io <robertvandehoek=<yahoo.com...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] "Sordida" Orange-crowned Warbler at DeForest Park?
Kimball, thanks!
Presumably, source is primarily Catalina, but any way to know if San Clemente Island might be contributing individuals to San Diego coast?

Could Ballona have nesting sordida due to lots of shrubs here? Perhaps Madrona as well?

Is Palos Verdes breeding population possibly only recently established, or likely occurring for centuries and millennia?

Does Atlas by Larry and you enlighten us further on sordida?

I agree that English name of Dusky Warbler is confusing, as I struggled years ago to decipher this name, but do you think there is some merit to this name aside from history?

Robert “Roy” van de Hoek
Playa Del Rey

On Tuesday, September 10, 2019, 7:24:00 AM PDT, Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...> wrote:

Merryl,
Thanks for braving DeForest Park and reporting your sightings.
I agree your bird is likely a "Channel Islands Orange-crowned Warbler" (i.e., Leiothlypis celata sordida; confusingly called "Dusky Warbler" in some of the older literature). In general, however, I pass on field ID of Orange-crowned Warbler subspecies because of sex and age variation, worn vs. fresh plumage, and minor measurement differences that are meaningful mainly in the hand or collection on properly sexed birds.
L. c. sordida is a bit larger and longer-billed on average that the more common mainland, and averages duller (in each respective age/sex class) and usually with more evident dull olive streaking below and chevrons on the undertail coverts. But many lutescens show some olive marking on the undertail coverts, so it is an average difference.  In general, sordida songs are distinctly slower than those of lutescens, though I wouldn't expect fall birds to be singing.
Having said all that, I would stress that "Channel Islands" Orange-crowned Warblers are expected and probably routine at DeForest Park and other parks and residential areas in the south coastal areas of L. A County. They breed on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and some adjacent green areas, and down the coast at scattered sites through Orange County and have even bred in coastal San Diego County. Furthermore, many birds move from the islands to the mainland in fall and winter, seasons when they can be fairly widespread up and down the s. California coast.
Kimball
Kimball L. GarrettOrnithology Collections ManagerNatural History Museum of Los Angeles County900 Exposition Blvd.Los Angeles, CA 90007 <USA213-763-3368kgarrett...>

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Merryl Edelstein via Groups.Io <merryledel=<yahoo.com...> wrote:

Today there was a little bit of migrant action at DeForest Park, of the bird variety.

While carefully checking undertail coverts on OCWAs, I think I had a  "Channel Islands"  Orange-crowned Warbler, with dusky spots on the yellow undertail coverts. There are a few blurry photos on my ebird checklist, if anyone would like to give feedback. I didn't ID it in the checklist as to subspecies, yet.

There was also a Lark Sparrow in the "wetlands", which is a hot mess, btw... Whoever contributed dollars toward that project takes a good look at LB City Rec and Parks. The "Crip-Killer" graffiti spray-painted in red on the eroded DG bath near the drain was probably my favorite part. Either that, or the homeless guy bathing in the pond.   Not sure a single ounce of effort has gone toward any maintenance Good that the birds can't read and don't care if there are native plants or invasive weeds..it's all good.

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59643291

Merryl Edelstein
Long Beach

-=-=-