Date: 9/10/19 7:53 am
From: Lisa Berger <goshawk...>
Subject: Re: Vernon County Swallow-tailed Kite
Hi Nancy,

You were at the right spot. We first saw it from the viaduct, then moved to 400 and 54 due to heavy traffic. It has been seen distantly to the south beyond the grain elevator, flying in and out of view along the east/west tree line. It was not visible for about 1.5 hours at one point.

It also flies at very close range both north and south of 54 where you were parked. It has been observed perched on 400 about 40-50 yards south of 54; also north of 54. Since it is a large, powerful raptor, it covers a lot of area, so there’s really no exact spot. If it had been nearby, you would have seen it from the corner of 400 and 54, or from the viaduct.

Lisa Berger

> On Sep 9, 2019, at 19:52 PM, Nancy Rock <nancyroc...> wrote:
>
> We were in that area this morning 9:30 to 11:30 (ish). Did not see the kite. Where exactly is it being seen? Right at that intersection? Someone had mentioned the train viaduct. That is the area we watched. Precise directions would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks, Nancy Rock
> Shell Knob, Barry County (a 3 hour drive from Nevada)

Lisa Berger
<goshawk...>

ASM Website: http://mobirds.org/
ABA Birding Code of Ethics