Date: 9/10/19 7:24 am
From: Kimball Garrett <kgarrett...>
Subject: Re: [LACoBirds] "Sordida" Orange-crowned Warbler at DeForest Park?
Merryl,

Thanks for braving DeForest Park and reporting your sightings.

I agree your bird is likely a "Channel Islands Orange-crowned Warbler"
(i.e., *Leiothlypis celata sordida*; confusingly called "Dusky Warbler" in
some of the older literature). In general, however, I pass on field ID of
Orange-crowned Warbler subspecies because of sex and age variation, worn
vs. fresh plumage, and minor measurement differences that are meaningful
mainly in the hand or collection on properly sexed birds.

*L. c. sordida* is a bit larger and longer-billed on average that the more
common mainland, and averages duller (in each respective age/sex class) and
usually with more evident dull olive streaking below and chevrons on the
undertail coverts. But many *lutescens* show some olive marking on the
undertail coverts, so it is an average difference. In general, *sordida*
songs are distinctly slower than those of* lutescens,* though I wouldn't
expect fall birds to be singing.

Having said all that, I would stress that "Channel Islands" Orange-crowned
Warblers are expected and probably routine at DeForest Park and other parks
and residential areas in the south coastal areas of L. A County. They breed
on the Palos Verdes Peninsula and some adjacent green areas, and down the
coast at scattered sites through Orange County and have even bred in
coastal San Diego County. Furthermore, many birds move from the islands to
the mainland in fall and winter, seasons when they can be fairly widespread
up and down the s. California coast.

Kimball

Kimball L. Garrett
Ornithology Collections Manager
900 Exposition Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007 USA
213-763-3368
<kgarrett...>

On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 8:13 PM Merryl Edelstein via Groups.Io <merryledel=
<yahoo.com...> wrote:

> Today there was a little bit of migrant action at DeForest Park, of the
> bird variety.
>
> While carefully checking undertail coverts on OCWAs, I think I had a
> "Channel Islands" Orange-crowned Warbler, with dusky spots on the yellow
> undertail coverts. There are a few blurry photos on my ebird checklist, if
> anyone would like to give feedback. I didn't ID it in the checklist as to
> subspecies, yet.
>
> There was also a Lark Sparrow in the "wetlands", which is a hot mess,
> btw... Whoever contributed dollars toward that project takes a good look at
> LB City Rec and Parks. The "Crip-Killer" graffiti spray-painted in red on
> the eroded DG bath near the drain was probably my favorite part. Either
> that, or the homeless guy bathing in the pond. Not sure a single ounce of
> effort has gone toward any maintenance Good that the birds can't read and
> don't care if there are native plants or invasive weeds..it's all good.
>
> https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59643291
>
> Merryl Edelstein
> Long Beach

-=-=-