Date: 9/10/19 6:06 am
From: 'Lillian Stokes' via NHBirds <nhbirds...>
Subject: [NHBirds] 33 Nighthawks Powder Mill Pond
Surprisingly, we had 33 nighthawks yesterday, viewed from our deck. First 2 flew by at 4:30 p.m. headed north. Then, while scanning for raptors at 4:45 p.m. we spotted a tight kettle of birds which were nighthawks! The kettle was a tight, rather flat group of circling nighthawks getting lift. They rose then peeled off in a loose line heading north. They found more lift and re-kettled near Crotched Mt. Then they peeled off and flew north in a loose line. This behavior so reminded us of the behavior of Broad-winged Hawks. Of interest was the report yesterday from Pack Monadnock of getting larger kettles of Broadwings later in the day. We saw the kettle of nighthawks later in the day also, clearly there were lift conditions then. We continued to look for nighthawks for the rest of the evening and only saw one flying south at 6:30 p.m.
The take-away is that there is much to learn about the migration behavior of nighthawks in terms of time of day, dates of season and flight behavior.
Lillian and Don Stokes
Hancock

Sent from my iPhone