Date: 9/10/19 3:37 am
From: David Provencher via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: [CT Birds] Nocturnal migrants Preston
Passing over home in Preston between 05:20 and 05:55 this morning; 6
Veerys, 4 Wood Thrush, 4 Swainson's Thrushes, 5 thrush species, 2 Bobolink,
and 2 Scarlet Tanagers. The thrush species count of 5 is conservative and
it may be double that or more. It can be a little difficult to hear calls
cleanly on these calm mornings due to traffic noise in the distance (and a
few cars headed to work through my area) and I am careful to try and not
count a bird more than once as they pass. I usually hear the most activity
at the very end of night and the beginning of dawn, between 05:15 and 06:00
at this date. I believe this is a combination of the birds starting to drop
lower in the sky and becoming more vocal with contact calls as the night's
migration winds down. I heard the first Wood Thrush terrestrial call
(meaning it had landed) about 05:45.

Dave Provencher
Preston