Date: 9/10/19 3:12 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (09 Sep 2019) 25 Raptors

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (1): Where was everybody today??
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 7,700-5,000 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 64 - 79F, Winds NE @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 5-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (53) and Turkey Vultures (71).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-_; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-1
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]:
<BR><BR>
Wilson Road Puddle held Least Sandpipers, Killdeer, and a Bald Eagle
overseeing it all, as I swung past this morning; Mike N. having beaten me
there. This “hot spot” will get swallowed up by the surrounding field
unless we very quickly get a deluge of rain to get water in there. The
Polo Fields were next and had recovered from yesterday’s TLC event. 175
Killdeer had found their way back to the now horseless fields and a Green
Heron flew over.
<BR><BR>
I arrived early at Bucktoe feeling it, and me, a bit “warbler-ish.” I
went to “Warbler Meadows” to see if my feeling was for warblers or just
a reaction to the sugar-rush from all the donuts I was forced to eat. The
first part of my walk was warbler-less and I was just about to chalk my
feeling up to the donuts. Then I walked over to the western meadow and all
Hell broke loose! Warblers were suddenly everywhere. I had 5 American
Redstarts, 3 Northern Parula, 2 Black-and white Warblers, 2 Magnolia
Warblers, 2 Blackburnian Warblers, 3 Chestnut-sided Warblers, and a
Black-throated Green Warbler. Also there were Red-eyed Vireos, Blue
Grosbeak, Willow Flycatcher and Great Crested Flycatcher, while a pair of
RAVENS flew just overhead; this, all without moving my feet even once –
not good for my step count, but great for my bird list. I guess it
wasn’t the donuts, after all. Later, I was fun to watch a Kestrel and a
Sharp-shinned Hawk take turns diving at each other as they soared together.
Each man has his favorite “Sharpie,” I always say… [mine will TRUMP
his]
<BR><BR>
Sadly, I also noticed my first Spotted Lanternfly at the hawk watch.
Emotionally counterbalancing that was a Common Nighthawk which flew by at
1:10pm, erratically as they do, eating insects. I wish those two could
meet with the appropriate results…
<BR><BR>
The watch over, I dropped by New Garden WTP to see what that body of
“water” held. There were Lesser Yellowlegs, Spotted Sandpiper,
Killdeer, Ring-necked Duck, and Wood Ducks. I also stopped again at Wilson
Road Pond where there was some excitement. There were the usual Kestrels,
but then when I looked at what currently passes as the pond here, I saw 2
Merlin swooping down on the Yellowlegs that were there. To their credit,
the Yellowlegs were attentive to the situation, but did not leave. The
Merlin made many passes off the wires [see pictures]. The Yellowlegs, both
species, watched and fed.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawk, Willow Flycatcher, Great Crested Flycatcher, COMMON
RAVENS, Rough-winged Swallow, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warblers, American
Redstarts, Northern Parula, Magnolia Warblers, Blackburnian Warblers,
Chestnut-sided Warblers, Black-throated Green Warbler, and Blue Grosbeak
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (11): Monarch - 15, Cabbage White,
Crescent, Orange Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated
Fritillary, Red Admiral. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags,
Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern
Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel, White-tailed Deer.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.28; Steps:
12,382; Floors: 113.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 65; this season:
87
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (4):”
Feral Pigeon, Merlin, Willow Flycatcher, and Rough-winged Swallow .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like a lot of clouds with breaks of sun. Light
and variable winds switching to southerly.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek