Date: 9/10/19 2:42 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (08 Sep 2019) 57 Raptors

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers:

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (21): Ian Stewart, Ron Majors, Carol Majors, Adam Bartles, Kris
Benarcik, Harvey Rubenstein, Mike Gardner, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Al
Guarante, Lana Glass, Laureen Eick-Benson, Fran DeMillion, Sharon Milner,
Luc & Marie Jacobs, Heidi Raimato, Joel Flachs, Lafang Flachs, George
Flachs, Gerry Teig
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly Sunny (50-75% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000-19,800 ft., Visibility
- 10 miles, Temps 60 - 77F, Winds WNW @ 5 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 4-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (73) and Turkey Vultures (77).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-1; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-6
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept. 5, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
I checked at Wilson Rd. Pond as I drove thru Doe Run and the “old King
Ranch” towards Bucktoe. There were Greater Yellowlegs, Lesser Yellowlegs
and Killdeer on the very nearly dried up pond.
<BR><BR>
A quick stop at the Polo Fields revealed 200 Killdeer, again..
<BR><BR>
I joined in on Bucktoe’s regular walk this morning for the first hour
before departing for the hawk watch. Together we saw Belted Kingfisher,
Chestnut-sided Warblers, American Redstart, Blue-winged Warbler, Bobolinks,
and Blue Grosbeaks.
<BR><BR>
Other highlights on the walk today included a Canada Warbler. [AB2]
<BR><BR>
Leaving the walk for to man my post at “the watch,” I managed a quick
walk over to “Warbler Meadow” where I saw Ovenbird and Black-throated
Green Warblers, along with the previously seen species.
<BR><BR>
When I returned to the hawk watch, the great donut mystery began. You see,
I had stopped for 2 dozen donuts for the group. Two dozen is 24, right? I
put my donuts on one of the picnic tables as I walked to Warbler Meadow.
On my return, there were precisely 23 donuts [I counted] – a single
delicious Boston Cream darling had been carefully, surgically lifted from
its home! Nobody was there, either. I texted the walking group to see if
they had somehow been here already and somebody couldn’t help themselves.
They did look delicious. The group had not been here. The mystery grew.
Had a wayward [and trespassing] hiker fallen into a diabetic fit and
desperately sought a sugar-rush in my donuts? MY DONUTS!! Had I
miscounted at the store? Always a possibility, but NOT something I’m
likely to do with a donut. I mean, come on…A DONUT!! I guard those…
Then I heard people’s voices on a meadow trail returning my way. It was
folks I had never seen before; four and with two dogs. Trespassers to be
sure, but none had chocolate smeared on their lips [a telltale sign].
Neither had they a word of explanation for why they were passing through or
an explanation about my rouge donut. PEOPLE!! The mystery has no
resolution, but I have suspicions.
<BR><BR>
Soon people showed up – legitimate people – as did hawks. An early
season kettle formed right above us with Broad-winged Hawks streaming in
low, one-by-one. It was very good for a short time, then slow and steady,
thereafter.
<BR><BR>
Joel & family brought food, as did Fran, Fran making a special trip back
with a healthy Mexican dinner. You’re a sweetheart, Fran. I don’t
believe I ever mentioned to you that gifts of food and drink are not only
welcomed, but are encouraged here at Bucktoe. Yet, somehow you knew…
<BR><BR>
I departed the watch just a bit early to arrive at TLC’s Polo event at
Brandywine Polo Club for the beginning of the game, match, whatever
they’re called. The site looked great and TLC did fantastic with it.
<BR><BR>
After a thrilling[?] contest, I left for home passing by an ever-dwindling
Wilson Road Pond. Actually, it’s little more than Wilson Road Puddle
now, but there were 3 Least Sandpipers and 2 Semipalmated Sandpipers added
to this morning’s group of Yellowlegs.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Belted Kingfisher, Bobolinks, Ovenbird, Blue-winged
Warbler, American Redstart, Chestnut-sided Warblers, Black-throated Green
Warbler, and Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (9): Monarch - 14, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary. Dragonflies
(3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted Skimmer. Reptiles &
Amphibians (0). Mammals (3): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray Squirrel,
Woodchuck, .
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 4.9; Steps:
11,502; Floors: 41.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 54; this season:
83
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (2):”
Ovenbird and Blue-winged Warbler .
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like it already happened, as my internet went
down and I'm a day late. So, I won't bother.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek