Date: 9/9/19 4:14 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (09 Sep 2019) 20 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 20 425 425

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Chip Ogglesby, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our few visitors today, including Chip, Devon, Paul, and
Duncan from ERCA.

Weather:
Today started overcast, cool, and a humid 15 degrees Celsius with winds
from the North. Winds stayed steady from the North and North-West most of
the day, until a change to South-East and a spike in temperature.

Raptor Observations:
Today was a very slow day for raptors, with a daily total of 20, even with
such favourable winds. The most abundant raptors were Sharp-shinned hawks.
Even our local Ospreys and Bald Eagles were not very keen to fly around the
marsh today, though they were seen from time to time.

Non-raptor Observations:
Monday's Massive Monarch Migration!! The Monarchs were the highlight of the
day, when 3,553 butterflies migrated over the tower from 1-4 o'clock.
Common green darner and black saddlebags also got the message and joined
the party.
We also observed a good variety of warblers flying in the trees surrounding
the tower.

Monarchs: 3,553
Common Green Darners: 200
Black Saddlebags: 40
Cedar Waxwings: 205
Ruby-throated hummingbirds: 6

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59647115

Predictions:
Tomorrow we are expecting winds from the South and very hot temperatures.
Not very promising weather for the raptors, but we are still hoping more
sharp-shinned hawks and broad-wings will migrated nonetheless.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<9dbc598f442254d2f485fa6cf97db6d7...>