Date: 9/9/19 2:00 pm
From: Derb Carter <derbc...>
Subject: Dorian and Cape Lookout Seashore
I am sure most of you have heard about the impacts of Hurricane Dorian on Ocracoke and Hatteras Islands. I wish all of the residents and those with interests on this part of the Outer Banks a speedy recovery. There has been less information about Cape Lookout National Seashore over which Dorian also directly tracked. The National Park Service has just issued an update in which it states the hurricane has formed "no less than 54 inlets" in the 35 miles of Seashore from Cape Lookout to Portsmouth. Prior to the hurricane there was only one inlet, Ophelia (named after a hurricane) where the Mountain Plover spent much of the winter of 2016-17. Cape Lookout Seashore is largely undeveloped, this is a natural response of a barrier island to major storms, and it will actually create habitat beneficial to Piping Plover and other beach nesting birds. Fifty-four inlets is nevertheless spectacular, as you can see in the attached post-storm aerial photographs from NOAA.

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__storms.ngs.noaa.gov_&d=DwIF-g&c=imBPVzF25OnBgGmVOlcsiEgHoG1i6YHLR0Sj_gZ4adc&r=ymRCw6Q-sBitug_rdeO1Tokz-I_SX2LQN2_Ocvlal9U&m=PT2TplGtneru3WHdxDVsObtzSBuAHTXpEhCoWs_Rm_s&s=BEurvjgLXkO4tUo31NZDfRWMb0ZAHZW9PQOyPA-uuYk&e=

Derb Carter
Chapel Hill, NC

Join us on Facebook!