Date: 9/9/19 7:56 am
From: Rachel Kolokoff Hopper <r-hopper...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Re: Ani still here
Hi COBirders,

I am not commenting on whether or not this is a wild bird, but I will say that my experience with Groove-billed Ani, which I see and photograph annually in Mexico, is that they are highly social and gregarious birds. When they are not foraging and moving through a particular habitat in a group, I am usually able to get quite close to them for photos.
------------------------------
Rachel Hopper
rkhphotography.net
<r-hopper...>
Ft. Collins, CO

On Sep 9, 2019, at 8:45 AM, Adam Vesely <avesely22...> wrote:

Alison, great question, several of us were talking about that very thing yesterday. I'd be curious to get thoughts on this bird being seemingly very comfortable so close to humans from those that have observed this species in Texas and Central/South America. Is that type of cooperation typical for this species in the "wild?"

Adam Vesely
Thornton, CO

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 8:09:03 AM UTC-6, Alison Kondler wrote:
Got great views of the Ani just now. Could this be an escaped bird? It flew up to many of us as if waiting for a hand out. At one point five of us were about eight feet away from it for about 6 minutes or so.
Alison Kondler
Jefferson County