Date: 9/8/19 9:00 pm
From: Jack Bushong <jcbushong01...>
Subject: [cobirds] Summit County Birding
Hi all,
My brother and I birded around Summit County this weekend and observed a
few birds of note. Townsend's Warblers seem to be moving through in good
numbers, with at least seven seen yesterday on the trail to Mohawk Lake and
several more today in the forests near Frisco. Also present around Mohawk
Lake were six Brown Creepers, 30 Wilson's Warblers, and an American
Three-toed Woodpecker. Despite good mudflats, Goose Pasture Tarn lacked any
interesting shorebirds. At Soda Creek Inlet, we observed a single American
Wigeon, several Blue-winged Teal, and the continuing Baird's Sandpiper.
Today, we extensively birded Green Mountain Reservoir and found four early
Sandhill Cranes, good numbers of Violet-green Swallows and sparrows, a
Prairie Falcon, and a Yellow-headed Blackbird. On the way back, we stopped
at Walter Byron Memorial Park and saw the continuing Mexican Duck. Songbird
migrants have picked up recently in the Frisco area, and today there were
Yellow-rumped, Townsend's, Wilson's, MacGillivray's, and Orange-crowned
Warblers as well as a Gray Catbird.
Good birding,
Jack Bushong,
Lousville, CO