Date: 9/8/19 8:50 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Detroit River Hawk Watch (08 Sep 2019) 77 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 77 406 406

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 15:00:00
Total observation time: 7 hours

Official Counter: Kevin Georg

Observers: Andrew Sturgess, Don Sherwood, Mark Hainen, Raburn Howland

Visitors:
Bill and Michelle paid us a visit. The weekends usually bring more visitors
and today was no exception. It's still a little early to reap the best
rewards but those days will be upon us soon so keep coming.

Weather:
A wolf in sheep's clothing kind of a day. Started off with partly sunny
skies and a barometer above 30" Hg all day. Winds from NW that turned to
ENE but the dark clouds that accumulated and filled the sky looked
threatening during the afternoon and the steady trickle of birds dried up.

Raptor Observations:
The calendar says we should expect these kinds of flights but we are hungry
for more. Sharpies led the way again with 30+ birds and the broad-wings
followed with 21. Harriers numbered seven birds but were outnumbered by
American kestrels at eight. Another day in which unless you had 10X vision
you might have missed the action above you. Very high flights for the most
part and mostly off the direct lane above us.

Non-raptor Observations:
A lot of gull flak today as they kettled in big numbers in our usual
observation areas. The dark juvenile birds can be especially distracting as
they soar and imitate buteos rather convincingly.

Predictions:
Barometer is predicted to peak around noon and then fall. Winds will end up
coming from SE. I would expect a similar day to today with moderate numbers
of birds.
Report submitted by Detroit River Hawk Watch (<jerry.jourdan...>)
Detroit River Hawk Watch information may be found at:
http://www.detroitriverhawkwatch.org

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=285

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<4b5914cca05e9afe2099627cf891f95e...>