Date: 9/8/19 8:00 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Hilltop Park Nighthawk Watch
All,

Started off well, ground out the rest of the time and ended really early. I think I saw one bird of any kind the last 20 minutes I was there, and didn't see the point of staying longer.

Chimney Swift - 26+ birds
European Starling - 1,038, including groups of 625 and 350
Common Grackle - 189; biggest group was 40 tonight
Canada Goose - 6; first since I've been counting
Cooper's Hawk - 1 local bird seen twice
Osprey - 1; where is this bird every evening? This is the 4th time in 5 nights that it has come north from the same area
Ruby-throated Hummingbird - 1 was chasing a Chimney Swift

Nighthawks:
6:04 - 12 birds seen as I drove into the park, moving south to north (almost all birds for days have been headed north)
6:05 - 2 birds moving south to north
6:13 - 1 bird moving south to north
6:19 - 1 bird moving south to north
6:20 - 2 birds moving north to south
6:32 - 1 bird moving south to north
6:36 - 1 bird moving south to north
6:50 - 1 bird moving south to north
6:59 - 1 bird moving south to north
7:04 - 1 bird moving east to southwest
7:05 - 1 bird moving east to west
7:09 - 1 bird moving north to south
7:13 - 1 bird moving north to south

26 total birds (428 birds for the count season)

Probably going to count tomorrow again.

Ryan Tomazin - Bridgeville, PA

Join us on Facebook!