Date: 9/8/19 6:37 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Best Birding Day Ever For Rarities In Illinois! Sunday 9-8-19
Hello Bird People,

Finally got to go for the Limpkin near Olney today along with Bob
Erickson & Andy Sigler & although the day didn't start off too well
everything certainly went as hoped. When a Say's Phoebe is only the
4th best bird of the day you know it was a really good day!

Arrived at Borah Lake to find that Isoo O, Ben S , Eddie K & one more
young hot shot birder were already present but they had not found the
Limpkin. They left to check the other side & soon Trevor S arrived to
take their place. Soon thereafter (5 min) I then saw the LIMPKIN
walking on the far end of the lake by the dam but no one else was
there to see it at 1st. The Limpkin disappeared into the vegetation
before Bob E got back. Bob E took off on a trail that seemed to go
where the Limpkin went. I stayed put & soon both Trevor S & I got the
2nd look at the Limpkin but it disappeared again & this time did not
come back out. Then LeRoy H & Denny J arrived & LeRoy knew how to to
get a better look at where the bird was last seen. Isoo, Ben, Eddie &
friend went over toward the dam & found a way in & there they saw the
Limpkin, Soon the rest of us did the same & we all saw the bird
although it would hide from time to time.

Next LeRoy, Denny, Bob E, Andy & I went over to the nearby East Fork
Lake where some of us saw the SABINE'S GULL as it flew away however
all did not see it. Waited about 5 or 6 min & it returned. Landed
along with a FRANKLIN'S GULL & 3 Ring Billed Gulls. All had good looks
at the Sabine's Gull both in flight & on the water.

Then going for broke Andy, Bob & I drove all the way to Madison County
& the Industrial Drive & parked by the Ford dealer. Right away the
SWALLOW TAILED KITE flew by very low & close to us. So at least one of
our big ticket birds was an easy find. We saw that Ben, Isoo, Eddie &
friend were parked a short distance away & had seen the Kite as well.
Also seen were 5 Mississippi Kites proving that this was a great food
fest for Kites.

So with 3 great birds seen we headed for home but Andy noticed on
ebird that a Say's Phoebe had been seen at the Greene Valley Hawk
Watch. Not sure if we could get there by the 6 p.m. closing time but
we hurried as best we could & arrived by 5:35 p.m. And there on the
fence at the top of the place was the SAY'S PHOEBE with many people
taking it's picture. Thanks go to Jeff Smith who told us on the phone
that the Phoebe was still there. Quite a finish to a really fine day!

No question that the Limpkin was the best bird seen today but there's
nothing like seeing a Swallow Tailed Kite flying around after
dragonflies so Bird-Of-The-Day will be a tie between the Limpkin & the
Swallow Tailed Kite. Runners-Up to the Sabine's Gull & the Say's
Phoebe birds that on any other day would have been Bird-Of-The-Day.

License Plate Of The Day to one from Montana seen at a Wendy's in
Effingham. Other good plates were from Nevada, South Dakota, Oklahoma
& Louisiana. .

Al Stokie
All over the great state of Illinois today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: