Date: 9/8/19 4:14 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (08 Sep 2019) 140 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 140 405 405

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Chip Ogglesby, Cindy Isenhoff, Elizabeth Kent, Hugh Kent

Visitors:
Thank you to our many visitors today; Cindy and Kramer, Chip and Dana,
Ralph and Mary-Jane, Leanna and Doug, James, Russ Jones and his family, and
Neil. Thank you for all your help looking at raptors.

Weather:
We had a cooler day, with constant cloud cover and temperatures only rising
to low 20 degrees Celsius. We did experience some very favourable winds
from the North for the majority of the day.

Raptor Observations:
Another very good day with a total of 140 raptors flying over the tower! We
had mostly Sharp-shinned hawks and American Kestrels. Broad-wing hawks are
slowly making their way down, coming in small groups of 2-3, with a daily
total of 6.
We were also joined by the resident Ospreys, adult and juvenile Bald
Eagles, Turkey Vultures and a juvenile Peregrine falcon.

Non-raptor Observations:
We are seeing fewer warblers passing through the tree around the tower,
except for a sudden burst at the end of the day. Many warblers are now
flying in small groups above the marsh. We are still seeing high numbers of
Cedar Waxwings and Mallards.
One of today's highlight was an American White Pelican flying high over the
marsh!

Cedar Waxwings: 274
Mallards: 188
Ruby-throated hummingbirds: 10
Monarchs: 27

Predictions:
Tomorrow morning we are expecting North and North-East winds, and changing
towards the South and South-East in the afternoon. Hopefully, the northerly
winds will bring us many more Sharp-shinned hawks, Kestrels and more
Broad-winged hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<eea549198c498db40b3dd54dae6c23ab...>