Date: 9/8/19 10:42 am
Subject: Mourning Warbler at Walter Knob Overlook, BRP, Buncombe Co.
Hi all,

I just saw an adult male Mourning Warbler at Walter Knob Overlook (which I
believe is the same place as Balsam Gap). The bird is in the brushy area
directly across the parkway from the parking area. I first saw it briefly
after some phishing, and then had more brief views and lots of calls after
playing tape (of calls, not song), to which it responded quite vigorously.
May thus be possible to find it back if you happen to be in the area.

At the nearby Ridge Junction, there was a rather good morning flight this
morning, though oddly enough most birds crossed the gap as late as between
9 and 10. Highlights among many 100s of warblers were a "Brewster's", a
Golden-winged, a Wilson's, several Nashville, and astonishingly many Cape
May Warblers.

Good birding,

Jelmer Poelstra
Durham