Date: 9/8/19 8:51 am
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Hummers?
It’s worth tending your feeders much later than that, if you’re able. While it’s a long-shot for any one of us to hope for this, Ruby-throats have been recorded in Massachusetts as late as mid-*November*; eBird shows a number of records for that month. Even longer a shot, but even more exciting when it happens, every other hummingbird species ever recorded in our state - Rufous, Allen’s, Black-chinned, even Calliope and Broad-billed - has made at least some of its appearances between November 1 and mid-January! The vast majority of such records have been found on the Cape and Islands, but a few around downtown Boston or other coastal areas, and a couple even in the Valley or Berkshires. So, don’t laugh, I generally try to keep mine going until it freezes solid….

JSR

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Sep 8, 2019, at 8:27 AM, Paul Guidetti <guidettipaul...> wrote:
>
> I was curious about this too...I had three Friday morning at my front feeder and at least one yesterday. I checked my records and the last one I saw in my yard last year was October 4! If it’s time to go, I wish them well but I do enjoy these little guys a lot! Keeping my feeders clean and full for now!
>
> Paul Guidetti
> Westford MA
>
> On Sun, Sep 8, 2019 at 6:58 AM Lynette Leka <lynetteleka...> <mailto:<lynetteleka...>> wrote:
> my local family left last week, but I'm still seeing a single bird every so often at the feeders - migrating, I assume, so we should keep tending the feeders through September

> Lynette Leka
> Newbury, MA 01951
> email: <lynette.leka...> <mailto:<lynette.leka...>

Join us on Facebook!