Date: 9/8/19 6:40 am
From: Veer Frost <0000038039fb4cf6-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: [VTBIRD] Great Horned Owl
Beautiful report and photos, thank you Tom!Veer

On 9/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, "Thomas Berriman" wrote:When Cat Abbott
reported a Great Horned Owl at the swamp area on South
America Pond Rd. at Wenlock WMA in July 2017, I said holy cow I've
got to
find one of those in Essex County. Probably 150 trips later (into that
area)
a Great Horned Owl was in the swamp at 8:30 am today. 2 long distance
digiscopes before a mob of Blue Jays chased it into the conifers.
That's
good news because now I can spend the next 150 trips looking for
another
'horned' creature, the Horned Lark! But Moose Bog was pretty special
this
morning with a pair of River Otters by the viewing platform calling to
one
another (almost sounded like a call note of a Canada Jay). At least 3
immature Spruce Grouse have survived and are forging together. The
Black-backs are making noise again and wanting to be seen and the
warblers
are starting to move through. Oh, and the colors are beginning. Got a
Palm
Warbler to sit for minute or two in the dark woods and was surprised
at how
well Nikon's 200-500mm works in low light.
https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S59581810
Tom
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.
Tom Berriman

802-626-9071
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/