Date: 9/7/19 10:56 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (07 Sep 2019) 39 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 39 76 83

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Adam Bartles, Beatty Broughton, Don Manuel, Sue Manuel

Visitors:
CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (6): Adam Bartles, Don & Sue Manuel, Beaty Broughton, Joan
Maxwell
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Partly-Mostly Cloudy (10-25% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 30,000-17,200 ft.,
Visibility - 10 miles, Temps 61 - 77F, Winds NW @ 5 - 10 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 4-Red-shouldered
Hawk, 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (72) and Turkey Vultures (68).

<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-_; 3 yr.-_; 4 yr.-_; adult-9
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept.5, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
If enough background clouds are in the sky, I expect a pretty good early
season flight at Bucktoe’s hawk watch today with a good northwest wind,
and after the mess yesterday, they could be backed up just a bit. But
first I stopped at Wilson Road Pond where there was Lesser Yellowlegs and
Killdeer.
<BR><BR>
The Polo Fields, where tomorrow’s TLC fundraiser is to be held, had more
Killdeer – 200 of them.
<BR><BR>
At Bucktoe Adam was out very early this morning and in fact, had been out
yesterday in the rain before turning right around and giving up. I missed
him when I was in the meadow. Today though, he was invaluable to the
effort, since he’s such a good spotter and the hawks were flying!
Providing another thrill, a Common Nighthawk flew by during mid-day. Don
& Sue, official spotters you’ll recall fromlat year, were out, too. It
was after these “official spotters” showed up that not much else was
seen. Hmmmm..kinda makes you think, doesn’t it? Joan & Beaty soon
joined the fray. We had good numbers of hawks for a still early date. I
can’t wait for the main rush!
<BR><BR>
After today’s “Hawk Watch” concluded, I ventured over to New Garden
WTP where I found Ring-necked Duck, Wood Ducks, Great Blue Heron, Spotted
Sandpiper, Killdeer, and Lesser Yellowlegs. I also stopped for a second
time at Wilson Road Pond as I passed. There had been an increase in
shorebirds there since my stop this morning with 3 Greater Yellowlegs and
12Lesser Yellowlegs, along with Killdeer and Kestrel there now.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Common Nighthawk, COMMON RAVEN, Bobolinks, Black-and-white Warblers, and
Blue Grosbeaks
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (10): Monarch - 8, Cabbage White,
Eastern Tiger Swallowtail, Eastern Tailed Blue, Clouded Sulphur, Orange
Sulphur, Buckeye, Red-spotted Purple, Variegated Fritillary, Cloudless
Sulphur. Dragonflies (3): Green Darner, Black Saddlebags, Twelve-spotted
Skimmer. Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail,
Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.63; Steps:
15,546; Floors: 53.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 49; this season:
81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks pretty good with light favorable winds and lots
of clouds to help find the "sneaky guys."
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek