Date: 9/7/19 9:48 pm
From: Laurene Hunt <huntdesigns...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Hummers?
It's not early at all for them to migrate out. Here's what I wrote this week for Wild Birds Unlimited Sudbury, MA.

Here is the link:

https://www.facebook.com/wbusudbury/posts/1252579564916363?notif_id=1567632552683749&notif_t=page_post_reaction
-----------------
Have you noticed how early the sun is setting? Do you know who else is noticing paying attention to the loss of daylight? Hummingbirds!

It is believed that the length of daylight is the most important factor in determining when Hummingbirds migrate. When days get shorter Hummingbirds instinctively eat more nectar and insects in preparation to their exhausting flight back to their wintering grounds in Mexico, Central and South America. To our tiny winged friends, food is energy and they’ll actually need to almost double their body weight daily to support migration.

So, yes Hummingbirds are making more frequent trips to our nectar feeders. You may also be getting longer views of them as they remain drinking for greater periods of time.

Some Hummingbirds begin to migrate in early August, but most don’t begin their journey until late August or September. Just as male Hummingbirds are the first to migrate north in the spring, they are the first to head south, followed by adult females and then juveniles. Don’t worry, even as the Hummingbirds you have fed all spring and summer depart, birds that nested further north in the United States and southern Canada will appreciate your feeder and visit as they migrate through the area. In fact, the number of Hummers visiting your feeder may increase at times because these migrating birds include immature birds hatched this summer!

Hummingbirds migrate during the day and it is believed that most of their trip is spent at tree height as they continually look for food to refuel. Hummingbird migration may just be getting started, but it will continue through the fall. Birds hatched late in the breeding season depart later than those hatched earlier and they may still be migrating through in late October or even early November. So keep your feeders cleaned and filled!
---------------
Hope this is helpful!

Laurene

> On September 7, 2019 at 11:24 PM Josh <opihi...> wrote:
>
> Joe and Massbirders,
>
> I had one at my feeder this morning, but that is a drop-off. Less than a week ago I had 3+ battling over the same feeder.
>
> I noticed while driving today that there is a TON of Jewelweed in flower, saw several patches loaded with blooms. Seems like I recall that this plant’s blooms are timed to coincide with hummingbird migration, so it’ll get pollinated by hummers tanking up on sugar for the long trip south.
>
> Back on August 29 a Chinese Mantis was perched above the feeder, and even took a swipe at a passing hummer, but didn’t catch anything; the hummers pretty obviously knew that the mantid was present, as more than once one would hover right in front of it, staring straight at it, just out of reach, probably saying the hummingbird equivalent of what Red Sox fans say to Yankee fans…
>
> Good birding,
>
> Josh
>

> Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
> Amherst, MA
>
> Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
> https://hampshirebirdclub.org/
>
> Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
> https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa
>
> http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
> https://www.facebook.com/opihi
>

> > > On Sep 7, 2019, at 11:03 PM, bank1941 < <bank1941...> mailto:<bank1941...> > wrote:
> >
> > Mbers, my local hummer family has disappeared. It is a bit early, has anyone else noticed theirs gone too?
> >
> > Joe Paluzzi
> >

> > Joe Paluzzi
> > Salem, MA. USA
> >

> > Sent by my Verizon tablet