Date: 9/7/19 8:28 pm
From: Josh <opihi...>
Subject: Re: [MASSBIRD] Hummers?
Joe and Massbirders,

I had one at my feeder this morning, but that is a drop-off. Less than a week ago I had 3+ battling over the same feeder.

I noticed while driving today that there is a TON of Jewelweed in flower, saw several patches loaded with blooms. Seems like I recall that this plant’s blooms are timed to coincide with hummingbird migration, so it’ll get pollinated by hummers tanking up on sugar for the long trip south.

Back on August 29 a Chinese Mantis was perched above the feeder, and even took a swipe at a passing hummer, but didn’t catch anything; the hummers pretty obviously knew that the mantid was present, as more than once one would hover right in front of it, staring straight at it, just out of reach, probably saying the hummingbird equivalent of what Red Sox fans say to Yankee fans…

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose, Ph.D.
Amherst, MA

Vice-president, Hampshire Bird Club
https://hampshirebirdclub.org/

Northeast Chapter head, Dragonfly Society of the Americas
https://www.dragonflysocietyamericas.org/northeastdsa

http://bugguide.net/user/view/2399
https://www.facebook.com/opihi

> On Sep 7, 2019, at 11:03 PM, bank1941 <bank1941...> wrote:
>
> Mbers, my local hummer family has disappeared. It is a bit early, has anyone else noticed theirs gone too?
>
> Joe Paluzzi
>

> Joe Paluzzi
> Salem, MA. USA
>

> Sent by my Verizon tablet