Date: 9/7/19 6:03 pm
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Allegheny Co. - Hilltop Park Nighthawk Watch
All,

Watched tonight until the mosquitoes drove me from the hilltop. My legs look like I have the pox...

A slow night became productive at sunset for nighthawks. More other species tonight than other nights. A nice couple from Mt. Lebanon counted with me and got their lifer nighthawks, and my friend Prakesh brought his son, who got his first nighthawks ever, as well.

I should be there tomorrow again, and I'll play it by ear after that, based on numbers. Bring your own mosquito management if staying past 7:30...

21 total species:
Red-tailed Hawk - one dark-backed bird that flew back and forth, hunting
Cooper's Hawk - the male was on the ridge of a roof, and then chased the RTHA
Common Grackle - 237, including a group of around 200
Mallard - 2
Osprey - 1, which my count friends got good looks at. I wonder if it was their first?
Barn Swallow - 3

Nighthawks: none have flown north to south in four days of watching
6:24 - 2 birds flying south to north
6:51 - 2 birds flying south to north
7:13 - 2 birds flying south to north
7:29 - 1 bird flying southwest to northeast
7:30 - 1 bird flying west to east
7:35 - 2 birds flying south to north
7:39 - 1 bird flying south to north
7:40 - 1 bird flying west to east