Date: 9/7/19 4:09 pm
From: <reports...>
Subject: [birders] Holiday Beach Hawk Watch (07 Sep 2019) 132 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0
Swainson's Hawk 0 1 1

Total: 132 265 265

Observation start time: 07:00:00
Observation end time: 16:00:00
Total observation time: 9 hours

Official Counter: Maryse Gagne

Observers: Bob Pettit, Chip Ogglesby, Dave Martin, Linda Wladarski

Visitors:
Thank you to Neil, Brent and John Barnes for their help spotting
Sharp-shinned hawks out of the sky.

Weather:
The day started with balmy weather and some threatening clouds, but cleared
and warmed by mid-day. We also experienced very favourable winds coming
from the West and North in morning, only to change to the South by the end
of the day.

Raptor Observations:
We had our biggest raptor count so far this season! Raptors migrated
steadily throughout the morning, mostly Sharp-shinned hawks (72) and
American Kestrels (31). We also observed our resident Ospreys, Bald Eagles
and Turkey Vultures as well as a non-migrating Peregrine falcon.

Non-raptor Observations:
Today was a slower day for the passerines, not only in number of species
but also in abundance. The number of swallows over the marsh is slowly
declining. Our highest count of the day was 255 starlings.
However, we did observe many Black Saddlebag dragonflies and Monarchs.

Purple martins: 81
Tree swallows: 51
Barn swallows: 30
Starlings: 255
Ruby-throated hummingbirds: 9
Black saddlebags: 145
Monarchs: 165

https://ebird.org/view/checklist/S59589975

Predictions:
Tomorrow, we are expecting winds from the North in the morning and changing
to eastern winds in the afternoon. We are therefore hoping the northerly
winds will bring more Sharp-sinned hawks.
Report submitted by Maryse Gagne (<maryse.gagne35...>)
http://hbmo.ca/

More site information at hawkcount.org: http://hawkcount.org/siteinfo.php?rsite=100

Birders is a service of the Great Lakes Commission. Visit us at www.glc.org
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/great-lakes.net/d/msgid/birders/<43b5b8c6e17c6f29908f23e1552f1b3f...>