Date: 9/7/19 1:49 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Waukegan Beach & Illinois Beach Hawk Watch Saturday 9-7-19
Hello Bird People,

Went 1st to Waukegan Beach with Bob Erickson, Gustavo & Annette M.
Best bird was one continuing LEAST BITTERN. Also had 7 Bonaparte's
Gulls flying north & 1 Black Crowned Night Heron flew by the inlet.
The only shorebirds were 8 Sanderlings mostly on the far piers & 2
Killdeer on the lawns. Low numbers of Ring Billed & Herring Gulls. A
hard to I.D. MERLIN flew by.
(Later the field trip group also saw 1 or 2 American Bitterns.)

Bob & I then went to the South Unit of Illinois Beach & had just
started to walk the beach when Bob got a text message from Andy
Stewart saying Adam's field trip group had just found a Buffie so back
we went to Waukegan where Annette & Bill M where looking at that BUFF
BREASTED SANDPIPER which eventually was joined by 2 Semipalmated
Plovers. The Buffie moved up & down the beach to the north & was still
there when we left. I am told that it was Jeff S & Steve N who
originally found the Buff Breasted Sandpiper so thanks go to them.

It was now too late to do Illinois Beach where Andy Stewart had only
found Sanderlings on the beach so we decided to go right to the Hawk
Watch. Stopped for an early lunch & got to the Hawk Watch at 9:45 a.m
& stayed until 1 p.m. which is about my limit for hawk watching.
Raptors seen were Turkey Vultures, Bald Eagle (2-IM), Osprey (1),
Cooper's Hawks (2), Red Tailed Hawks, a Kestrel & a far away
Peregrine.

But the best bird was not a hawk but a high flying JAEGER probably a
Parasitic. But the photos will have to be looked at closely (Janice &
Annette have good photos) to see it can be I.D.ed to species. I do not
like I.D.'s by photo but I guess it'll have to be that this time.
We'll see if they can figure it out? Otherwise it's just a Jaeger
species?

Bird-Of-The-Day to the Buff Breasted Sandpiper as at least I say for
sure that's what it was &
Runner-Up to the Jaeger species whichever one it turns out to be.

Al Stokie
On the Lake County lakefront today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: