Date: 9/7/19 12:51 pm
From: Thomas Berriman <blackpoll...>
Subject: [VTBIRD] Great Horned Owl
When Cat Abbott reported a Great Horned Owl at the swamp area on South
America Pond Rd. at Wenlock WMA in July 2017, I said holy cow I've got to
find one of those in Essex County. Probably 150 trips later (into that area)
a Great Horned Owl was in the swamp at 8:30 am today. 2 long distance
digiscopes before a mob of Blue Jays chased it into the conifers. That's
good news because now I can spend the next 150 trips looking for another
'horned' creature, the Horned Lark! But Moose Bog was pretty special this
morning with a pair of River Otters by the viewing platform calling to one
another (almost sounded like a call note of a Canada Jay). At least 3
immature Spruce Grouse have survived and are forging together. The
Black-backs are making noise again and wanting to be seen and the warblers
are starting to move through. Oh, and the colors are beginning. Got a Palm
Warbler to sit for minute or two in the dark woods and was surprised at how
well Nikon's 200-500mm works in low light.

https://ebird.org/vt/view/checklist/S59581810

Tom

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
nothing.

Tom Berriman

802-626-9071

<https://www.flickr.com/photos/blackpoll1/>