Date: 9/7/19 12:44 pm
From: Karen Markey <ylime...>
Subject: [birders] Hudson Mills Fall Field Trip Report: Warblers and Vireos High in the Canopy
Our band of almost 30 birders began touring Hudson Mills in low-light and
no-bird conditions. Struggling to find birds, I led the group to my
favorite hotspot -- the north-south corridor of the Nature Trail to the
immediate northwest of disc golf hole #14. We spent a solid hour there,
peering up at the canopy and sorting through a large pack of warblers,
vireos, and woodpeckers. In that one hotspot, we identified 14 species of
warblers, and the stars of the show were a GOLDEN-WINGED WARBLER and a
CANADA WARBLER, and all the while, we were serenaded by Yellow-Throated
Vireo who did every possible vocalization in his repertoire. Eastern
Wood-Pewees, Red-Eyed Vireos, and Cedar Waxwings were plentiful, some still
feeding youngsters.

Thanks to Juliet, Jessica, John, Cathy (relocating the Golden-Wing), Erin
(finding the Canada), and others for finding, identifying, and relocating
birds and helping others spot birds high in the canopy. Double thanks to
Juliet for keeping the eBird checklist and sharing with others. Let's do
this again next May!

Hudson Mills Metropark, Washtenaw, Michigan, US
Sep 7, 2019 8:00 AM - 12:16 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.872 mile(s)
Comments: WAS Field Trip led by Karen Markey. Sky 2-3. North Wind 1.
60-67 F.
51 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 4
Wood Duck 2
Mourning Dove 2
Ruby-throated Hummingbird 3
Sandhill Crane 4
Ring-billed Gull 1
Turkey Vulture 4
Red-bellied Woodpecker 7
Downy Woodpecker 5
Hairy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 6
Eastern Wood-Pewee 15
Eastern Phoebe 3
Great Crested Flycatcher 2
Yellow-throated Vireo 9 They breed here. Careful count.
Warbling Vireo 1
Red-eyed Vireo 11
Blue Jay 21
American Crow 5
Black-capped Chickadee 16
Tufted Titmouse 13
White-breasted Nuthatch 11
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 2
House Wren 2
Carolina Wren 3
Gray Catbird 6
Brown Thrasher 1
Eastern Bluebird 2
Swainson's Thrush 2
Catharus sp. 2 Possible Veery. Better looks desired!
American Robin 6
Cedar Waxwing 28
American Goldfinch 7
Red-winged Blackbird 2
Common Grackle 2
Golden-winged Warbler 1 Male. Golden head and wingbars. Black mask and
throat. Seen well by at least half the group.
Black-and-white Warbler 4
Tennessee Warbler 7
Nashville Warbler 2
Common Yellowthroat 3