Date: 9/7/19 11:44 am
From: Anita Blasius <ibblazin...>
Subject: RE: [birders] OT (monarch food) Goldenrods & Asters
Jack,

If you got fined for having goldenrod, you probably got fined for the wrong thing. Some folks are probably allergic to goldenrod but, in general, it’s ragweed that’s the problem. Goldenrod is a wildflower that is pollinated by insects while ragweed is, as the name states, a weed and the pollen is airborn. Here are a couple of articles on the subject – hope I’m not breaking listserve rules by posting them.

https://theherbalacademy.com/goldenrod-vs-ragweed-theyre-not-the-same-plant/

https://theydiffer.com/difference-between-ragweed-and-goldenrod/

In any case, enjoy the butterflies!

Anita