Date: 9/7/19 8:12 am
Subject: Monk Parakeet, Blue Jay surprise
Just saw a Monk Parakeet in Myrtle beach this morning, and I wonder what the odds are of a bird moving from an established population compared to a recent cage bird escape. I would think the former is more likely?

Common birds can still surprise me after 50 years of birdwatching. All summer we’ve been hearing this mystery call, an upslurred whistle that makes me think “begging raptor” but we could never trace it to a Cooper’s Hawk or a Kite. I started to think it was a Blue Jay but never could see anybody where the noise was coming from (nor could my wife - we have a lot of very tall pines in the neighborhood). Well, today I finally saw the Blue Jay who’s been whistling all summer. I never heard one make this particular noise before this summer. I wonder where he got it from.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

Join us on Facebook!