Date: 9/7/19 1:35 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (06 Sep 2019) 4 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 4 37 44

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Hannah Greenberg, Kelley Nunn

Visitors:
DELAWARE NATURE SOCIETY’S NIGHTHAWK WATCH & THE LAND CONSERVANCY FOR
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY’S HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (3): Hannah Greenberg, Kelley Nunn
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Weather:
<BR><BR>
Weather:
Cloudy w/Rain (100% cloud cover), Ceiling -- 6,700-2,200 ft., Visibility -
10 miles, Temps 64 - 69F, Winds NE @ 10 - 15 mph.
<BR><BR>

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-tailed Hawk,
and numerous Black (4) and Turkey Vultures (24).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
TODAY’S Bucktoe Bird Blog [‘BBB’]: [PLEASE NOTE: On Sept. 5, I
sent out the new large weekly “blog” and hotline in my new format - a
newsletter. This is NOT THESE reports you get from HawkCount. Rather,
it’s the newsletter from EBNT, with our upcoming schedule and the County
year bird list, etc. If you aren’t receiving it and are a regular
subscriber, look in your spam – a few servers send it there. [go
figure-lol] If you enjoy “the blog,” featuring the county species
list, and it ended up in your spam, you’ll have to follow your
provider’s method of “whitelisting” it, marking it as “not spam”
or it will always go there. It usually comes out every Thursday.
<BR><BR>
Greater Yellowlegs and Lesser Yellowlegs were still at Wilson Road Pond
when I swung past this morning; Killdeer and Kestrels, too.
<BR><BR>
The weather looked ominous, impending with doom, when I arrived at Bucktoe
to begin our hawk watch. This is not to be a fun day. It will be lonely
out here, too. As nobody was here, I took a walk thru the drizzle to
“Warbler Meadow,” finding it much different than the onslaught
yesterday. I had a couple of warblers and missed a few “chip” notes
that would not move to be seen, but NOTHING like the activity of the prior
day. And don’t you know that while I was away from my post somebody
showed up at the watch? They must be walking around looking for me, as
they were nowhere to be found. It turns out it was Kelley and Hannah, and
Hannah was without her binoculars; a rookie mistake for such a
self-proclaimed “good birder.” [gotcha Hannah] They too, had walked to
“Warbler Meadow” and found it much quieter. That did not keep Hannah
for reverting to character. As Hannah was already elbow deep into my box
of Boston Cream Donuts [you know how she is], I asked Kelley if she wanted
one [while there was still one left]. She declined, while suggesting a new
rule that donuts can only be had by those WITH binoculars. I like it,
Kelley, though it sounds like your relationship is having some “Rocky
Roads,” but that’s ice cream, isn’t it? Kelley can’t eat sweets.
That’s OK though, as Hannah has “sweet tooth’ enough for both of
them. In fact, she has a full set of bicuspids and molars, including the
wisdom teeth! [Sweet or not, very rare for a Delawarian] It’s amazing,
though. Hannah weighs about 400 pounds less than the 500 pounds her
appetite for sweets and bad liquor would otherwise suggest. [After this
blogging, she’ll have binoculars the NEXT TIME!]
<BR><BR>
It surely was a slow day at the watch today with the miserable dreary
drizzle. After leaving, I stopped at New Garden WTP where there was Wood
Ducks, Ring-necked Duck, Spotted Sandpiper, and Lesser Yellowlegs.
<BR><BR>
The Polo Fields held 218 Killdeer, but still no other shorebirds this year.
I’ve only had a single Least Sandpiper thus far this fall. These fields
have always produced much more, but there is still time.
<BR><BR>
On the way to visiting my Mom, I stopped at Marsh Creek Lake, hoping for
terns, but seeing only Great Blue Herons, Great Egrets, and a
Double-crested Cormorant.
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS:
<BR><BR>
Great Blue Heron, Canada Warbler, Magnolia Warbler, and Bobolinks.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (1): Monarch -1. Dragonflies (0).
Reptiles & Amphibians (0). Mammals (2): Eastern Cottontail, Eastern Gray
Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
numbers at the site for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 3.32; Steps:
7,769; Floors: 12.
<BR><BR>
that.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season:
81
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (0):”
none.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks good with much better sky - if enough background
clouds - and good NW winds. Expect a few early Broad-wings backed up from
yesterday.
<BR><BR>
for the “Nighthawk Watch.”

Site Description: